Thursday, November 8, 2007

Happy Diwali!

सभी ब्लोग मेहमानों को दिवाली कि शुभकामनाएं। Happy Diwali to all the blog visitors!

Currently Playing: Kholo Kholo - Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy - Taare Zameen Par

After brief thinking, i have decided to write again. There wasn't any reason for me to stop or discontinue updating entries but i never felt motivated enough or didn't have much time, to put it in simple words. It appears that i still do not have time. Education has consumed my life completely and i will probably be in this state for about 10 more years, unfortunately. One of the reasons i would like to update my blog often is because when i read my old entries, i am struck with my thought process at that certain time, my mentality, my growth as a person since then. It also gives me an opportunity to look back and resort to past.

I miss India, especially today as it is Diwali! It should be about 7:30 PM in India right now and all family members must be preparing for puja. In an hour or two, all the anxious kids and friends will gather around for pathakas (fireworks). Ahh, those were the days! I still remember arguing with my mom every year for more pathakas because like any other mother, she did not want me to engage in anything else than phuljhari or anaar or maybe a bidi bomb. My dad, of course, never hesitated to buy me more dangerous (for my age) bombs and fireworks. We had a set price. I could possibly get anything that i wanted (or he felt suitable) within that price range. I also miss the presents, the phone calls, the joy, the celebration, the excitement, waking up early the next day to pick up leftover/unburnt pathakas and so much more than just Diwali celebration.

This is my 6th year without celebrating Diwali in India. I don't think i will ever be in India during this time, unless i decide to settle there. It's almost impossible to take even a week long trip to India at this time because of the workload in school (semester end).

For any other person, it would be great to live/study overseas, but you would miss the rituals, the environment, the real spirit of India wholeheartedly. Atleast, i do. I plan to summarize my recent trip to India, so i can remember even the smallest details and enjoy them later, but i have yet to sit down and recollect all the memories. Till then, you should recollect some past memories, childhood memories, relive them and enjoy the present times while you still can because one thing is for sure, life doesn't get any easier...until you get old. And who would like to be categorized under 'Senior Citizen'? I must now go back to studying ... leaving you with these beautiful and emotional lyrics from Javed Akhtar from the movie 'Swades':

Mitti ki hai jo khushboo, tu kaise bhoolaega,
Tu chahe kahin jaaye, tu laut ke aaega
Nayi Nayi raahon mein, dabi dabi aahon mein,
Khoye khoye dil se tere, koi ye kahega
Yeh jo des hai tera, swades hai tera, tujhe hai pukaara,
Yeh woh bandhan hai jo kabhi toot nahin sakta

Tujhse zindagi hai yeh keh rahi,
Sab toh paa liya, ab hai kya kami
Yun toh saare sukh hai barse,
Par door tu hai apne ghar se
Aa laut chal tu ab deewane,
Jahaan koi toh tujhe apna maane
Awaaz de tujhe bulaane, wahi des...
Yeh jo des hai tera, swades hai tera, tujhe hai pukaara,
Yeh woh bandhan hai jo kabhi toot nahin sakta

No comments: